There was a time when paying for bills meant long queues at banking halls every month, technology now has replaced those days in history and behold are now brighter days where one can easily pay for literally every service from the palm of their hand’s thanks to technology availing us with smartphones.
Paying for your electricity bill is one of the many bills you can sort at the comfort of your palm, as long as you own a phone, whether it is the prepaid or postpaid bill that you need to pay for. We simplify the process of how you can easily pay for your electricity using your phone:
KPLC recommends their customers to use paybill numbers 888888 and 888888 for postpaid and prepaid bill payments respectively. Please use the step by step guide below to pay your electricity bill.
How to Pay KPLC Bill via M-PESA Paybill Number 888888
- Open Your Safaricom SIM Tool Kit
- Choose M-PESA
- Choose Lipa na M-PESA
- Choose Pay Bill
- Choose Enter Business no. Kenya Power Postpaid Lipa na M-PESA Paybill Number 888888 and press OK
- Choose Enter Account no. Kenya Power Postpaid Account Number (e.g. 37656 xxxx xxxx x) press “OK”
- vii. Key in Amount and press OK
- viii. Key in M-PESA PIN and press OK
- FOR M-PESA HAKIKISHA, You would get a notification e.g. “Pay KPLC Postpaid KSh 500.00 for Account 0100 xxxx xxxx x. To STOP this transaction send any letter or number within 25 seconds Cost: Ksh x.xx”. Pressing Cancel will complete the transaction.
- You will receive a confirmation SMS from M-PESA
- It takes up to 48 hours for KPLC to update your payment information on the account
Once the process is complete, you would receive a confirmation message after which Kenya Power company shortly sends you the tokens number for you to input in your meter.
Paying your KPLC Electricity Bill with Airtel Money (Airtel)
- Go to the Airtel menu on your Sim tool kit
- Select Airtel Money
- Choose Make Payments
- Choose Paybill
- Choose Kenya Power Bill for postpaid bill OR Kenya Power Prepaid for purchase of tokens
An SMS will be sent to you to confirm the payment. However, the transaction takes 24 hours to be updated.
To check your KPLCbill, send the first part of your account number e.g. 123456 by SMS to 95551.
How to Buy Kenya Power (KPLC) Prepaid Tokens via Equitel
- Choose Eazzy Pay from your Equitel menu
- Choose Pay Bill from Eazzy Pay.
- Choose the bank account number to pay from e.g.0123456789102
- Select the business number – KPLC Tokens
- Enter your KPLC Prepaid Meter Number (e.g. 37168917674) press OK
- Enter the amount you wish to pay which should be between kShs. 100 and kShs.500, 000.
- Enter your Equitel PIN and press OK
- Confirm that all details are correct by pressing 1 OK
- You will receive a text confirmation of the transaction from Equity bank.
KPLC will then generate prepaid token valid for your meter and send via SMS.
The counter Payments
all esteemed clients and potential clients may pay their electricity bill by cash through all Equity Bank branches across the country and all payments will reflect in your electricity account on the same day.
As a rule, all cash payments should be made at Kenya Power’s authorized pay points that are located within official premises and the paying counters clearly marked CASHIER.
If you have an account with Co-operative Bank, Postbank, or Standard Chartered Bank, you can as well pay your bill through any of these banks’ Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs).
you may as well pay your electricity bill by cash through appointed Co-operative Bank branches in Nairobi. In Addition, you may pay your electricity bill at any branch of the following banks countrywide (Click for full list).
Cheques can be deposited in designated boxes in pay centers and at particular business premises appointed by Kenya Power to serve as drop-off points.
Bill Payment through M-Banking
If you are a Co-operative Bank esteemed client, your mobile phone is now an electricity bill payment point. To use the service, one must be registered with the bank for M-Banking service and as well one must have registered their Kenya Power account number with the bank.
KPLC Paybill Number for Prepaid Meters
After a few minutes, you would receive an SMS from KPLC that has the following:
- The amount you have paid and the date of payment.
- The total tokens you have received.
- A unique code made up of numbers only, normally 20 digits long. This is the code you enter into your prepaid meter (just like pressing the keys on your phone), then press the OK button on the meter (normally the Blue button). The prepaid meter will update itself immediately. It’s that easy to pay the KPLC bill using the M-pesa KPLC paybill number for KPLC prepaid meters.
Note that apart from the KPLC Paybill number for KPLC prepaid electricity meters, one may as well use cash payment at Kenya Power and Lighting Company’s authorized pay points.
You can do a KPLC bill inquiry to check the KPLC bill online or through the mobile phone.
The other mobile money payment providers as well as allow for payment of KPLC prepaid power via phone but are way less popular.
Other less popular techniques to pay prepaid KPLC bills such as Uchumi Supermarkets, bank payments, and payments at the Postal Corporation of Kenya’s countrywide post offices.
KPLC Frequently Asked Questions
Is 501200 a KPLC Paybill?
Yes, 888880 is not the only Paybill number you may use to pay for your prepaid KPLC account. If you run into a problem with it, the other KPLC Paybill number for tokens you can use is 501200.
What is the KPLC token Paybill number?
It is 888880 or 501200
How can I get KPLC tokens fast through 501200 (VendIT)
- Go to the M-PESA menu and select Lipa na M-PESA > Paybill.
- Enter business number 501200.
- Enter your 11 digit prepaid meter number as the account number.
- Enter the amount you wish to purchase. (Above Kshs.
- Enter your M-PESA PIN and press OK.
Is there a delay in KPLC tokens?
Kenya Power has taken various measures to ensure KPLC token delay doesn’t inconvenience you. Prepaid customers may purchase tokens through KPLC Paybill number token 888880 or from the nearest KPLC tokens agents. The KPLC token recharge takes minutes to complete.
How do I get my KPLC token?
- For the Prepaid meter number
- CONLOG meter box-Dial Dial #100 then enter or press #
- HEXING meter box-Dial Dial 804 then press enter or #
- ACTARIS Meter Box. Dial 100 and then press enter or #
- SHENZEN Meter Box. Press 65 then enter.
Why is my token not working?
If your token doesn’t work, it may be for a number of reasons: Check that the code you entered matches the code on your token. If not, try again. Maybe your token is no longer active because you have applied for a new token.
Require checking your balance?
If you’re repaying debt through your meter and want to check the current balance, here are the steps:
Electric Key Meters
Steps 1 – Insert your key and press the blue button that will take you to screen ‘S’ or ‘8’. These will show you the amount you owe.
Step 2 – Go to ‘T’ or ‘9’ to see the amount that’s been set as a weekly payment to repay your debt.
E-bill is an electronic bill querying service from Kenya Power. It gives you to check your electricity account balance and bill due date any time, by SMS or e-mail.
How E-bill Works
E-bill SMS Service
The E-bill SMS service gives you to query your electricity account balance and bill due date using the mobile phone. Follow these easy steps:
- Open a new SMS message.
- Key in the first part of your account number in the message field. For example, when your account number is 3649567-01, just type 45654.
- Send this message to 95551.
- In a few seconds, you will receive an automatic reply with your account balance details. This service works for Kenyan networks. It is charged at Kshs. 5/- above the normal SMS rates.
E-bill e-mail Service
The E-bill e-mail service enables you to check your electricity account balance and bill due date via e-mail. Here are the simple steps to follow:
- Open a new e-mail message.
- Type the first part of your account number in the subject field. For example, if your account number is 998877-01, just type 998877.
- Email the blank message to the bill (at) kplc.co.ke within a few minutes you will receive an automatic reply with your account balance details and payment due date.
It is important to type in the correct account number and follow the procedure of sending the message in order to get a positive response. As well note that despite the introduction of E-bill services, your detailed electricity bill will continue to be dispatched through your postal address.
Can you reverse KPLC tokens?
You can Contact KPLC via social media. You will have to share the transaction details to them and as well the correct meter number you intended to buy tokens for. KPLC representatives will then forward the details to the revenue office responsible for reversals.
You can as well visit Kenya Power customer care offices or Huduma Centre for a token refund. In such a scenario, you may be required to produce your national identity card, the correct meter number, and all the transaction details along with you and fill a refund form.
Best time to buy KPLC tokens
Below is the Best Time to Buy KPLC Tokens
The Cheapest method of buying KPLC prepaid tokens. Buying tokens as from 1st – 8th of every month is the cheapest time to but Kenya power tokens since KPLC charges only KSh 18.80/KWHr then Payment 2 (between 8th – 14th), (between 15th – 21st), and lastly (between 22nd – 31st).
Payment 1 (between 1st – 8th)
Units 13.3 kWh
Cost per kWh unit KSh 18.80
Payment 2 (between 8th – 14th)
Units 11.3 kWh
Cost per kWh unit KSh 22.12
Payment 3(between 15th – 21st)
Units 11.3 kWh
Cost per kWh unit KSh 22.12
Payment 4 (between 22nd – 31st)
Units 11.3 kWh
Cost per kWh unit KSh 22.12
KPLC bill inquiry number
To check your KPLC bill on phone, you can call the KPLC contact Centre by simply dialing the digits; 0711 031 000 on your phone.